The emergence of the internet as the standard delivery platform for entertainment media has changed the perceptions of even the average viewer. A rising flood of dynamic, high quality, on-demand productions has created a jaded audience with rigid expectations. Yet, as of 2012, much of the Corporate Canadian webcasting world has failed to grow their own standards to meet these new demands. Too often low quality production ‘methods’ are just accepted. Industry ‘standards’ such as cameras simply being placed in the back of meeting rooms or worse, talented and passionate business leaders put in front of a camera with little preparation in a poorly lit boardrooms and expected to “perform” like Anderson Cooper on Election night. The result is little better than the average high school production on YouTube.
In June, The Streaming Network was tasked with producing a press event for DFS Canada which necessitated a high quality studio like production that emulated a TV like aesthetic. In our search for the right venue we were contacted about the MaRS Discovery Centre’s New Media Department and their studio. The venue turned out to be just what we needed to produce a higher quality experience for our audiences.
So far we have used the MaRS studio to deliver a number of successful events for clients looking for a professional webcast experience.
Clients booking webcasts in the MaRS Studio are entitled to a 10% discount on webcast events and have access to:
- Fully controlled studio environment with track lighting and in room audio support
- Full HD Production services with video switching and in house teleprompter support
- 100MBS internet service capable of supporting multi language high bandwidth streaming events
- In house catering services with an adjacent boardroom for speakers to prepare for the event or organizers to monitor the live stream
- Green Screen support for virtual studio productions or full drape for physical sets